Introducing Tea From The Bible ☕️

November 26, 2023

Journaling through the Book of Luke early this year - May 2023, New Holland Coffee Shop

Hi Sunshine,

As mentioned in my first post, my faith is one of my anchors. This means, among other things, studying the Bible is part of my lifestyle. 

It has been a long journey to get to this place where I enjoy studying the Bible. Though I grew up going to church every Sunday, it wasn’t until my late teens, when I wanted 'instant healing' from my dual diagnosis of epilepsy and bipolar, that I became somewhat serious about my faith. At that point, Bible study to me equated to knowing a handful of ‘name it and claim it’ verses, which I used as ammunition to remind God that these illnesses had docked on the wrong harbor. This ‘method of acquiring Biblical knowledge’ didn’t require me to know which books follow which ones, what the context of the verses was or who said them to who, where and why.

Because we cannot be newborn babes forever, I graduated to the ‘whatever page I land on - as long as it is not those boring Old Testament books and it better have a tweetable (x-able?) pithy catch phrase’ method of Bible study. It was years before I finally learnt how to do exegesis (Biblical deep dive). I do not claim to have gotten the perfect method of studying the Bible but I think removing the what’s in it for me attitude and stepping back to learn that there is a story behind the story I am reading and that there is an overall story encompassing this and many other stories including my own has helped me to strive to understand the context first, before trying to see where I fit in, if at all.

One of my favorite things to do during my downtime is to watch psychological who-done-it thriller types. Well as far-fetched as it may seem, the Bible gives me that vibe – it has some true crime scripts, is full of sci effects – (seas splitting into two, trees burning and not being consumed, people turning into pillars of salt), and if you follow the drama, some of the characters in the Bible have reality TV energy. And to think that all these is compressed into 66 books and packaged into a portable library is just genius (the Bible is the original Kindle).

I actually started blogging about the Book of JudgesBook of Judges because of the messiness. And because messiness is for sharing, I wanted to curate a glossary type page that serves all this tea and gives you the low down on the various books in the Bible before you kick it with them.

Tea from the Bible ☕️ is that space and it will be a simple list of the Books in the Bible and links to the posts I do about those books. It is my prayer that I get to blog about all the 66 books in the Bible. I also pray that this list enriches your knowledge of the Bible and helps you to grow in your relationship with God, yourself, your work and those around you.

Sending love and light,
Sitawa 

You Might Also Like

0 Comments