A Few Things About Me

May 05, 2023

Self Portrait - June 2023, Lancaster PA
Hi Beautiful Souls,

It feels good to be back on these blogging streets after a short hiatus that culminated with my move from Nairobi to the US for school. 

For those meeting me for the first time, and those who used to follow my now archived blog, this first post is for you.

1. Background: Blogging and social entrepreneurship
Before moving to the US, I ran a Google Award winning blog and a mental health social enterprise that set up and ran my country's first free mental health support line. After 12 years, I took a sabbatical and restarted my academic journey. I am currently based in the Historical City of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, which I will mention a lot in my posts.

2. The Arts: Gateway to my 'public life'. 
Speaking of backgrounds, I began my first blog in 2008 to share my poetry and essays, and ended up in full time advocacy. I do not write poetry 'for public consumption' as much as I used to, but when I do, I will make a point of sharing. I also enjoy creating and engaging in other forms of art, and I am grateful for all the theatres, art galleries and museums here in Lancaster (will highlight them as I attend events). 

Chasing Trails in Lancaster County Central Park - Conestoga River in the background
3. Plants & Nature: Plants make my world go round. 
- I have loads of houseplants in my apartment (you will see them in my posts), 
- I love being out in nature (which is easy because I live near Lancaster County's Central Park - so when the temperatures are right, I am either chasing trails or sitting by Conestoga River, and enjoying the sound of water as I read), 
- I enjoy botanic gardens (Longwood Gardens in Kennett Square is by far one of my fav places here in Pennsylvania), 
- I am also kinda sorta vegetarian...and a lover of hot tea.

Sitawa Wafula is a blogger living with epilepsy and bipolar, pursuing academic dreams abroad, and embracing the abundant life
Some evenings are for African Lofi and African Writers - Lancaster PA
4. Books & TV:Life of a recovering homebody 
As much as I love being out in nature, I have to admit that I am a recovering homebody, so it goes without saying that I love reading all sorts of books and watching TV. My weekends are reserved for Premier League games…GO GUNNERS!!! - and during the week I am glued to some psychological-who done-it thriller-detective-legal type show. Acorn TV, Walter Presents, Britbox, PBS and Sundance Now are my streaming sweet spots...I think it is the hygge feel in most of them that draws me in. I will share shows and books/bookstore that I fall in love with on this blog.

Sitawa Wafula is a blogger living with epilepsy and bipolar, pursuing academic dreams abroad, and embracing the abundant life
Love using this African Bible Commentary during my Bible Study 
5. Faith: The Bible is one of the greatest libraries/bookstore ever. 
My faith is one of my anchors and the Bible has some of the coolest stories and characters - and if you know the story behind the story, you are in for a treat.  I am usually knee deep in exegesis (Bible deep dive) during the week, serve in church as, and, when needed, and attend Mass every Sunday. Be ready for some Biblical tales and churchy stuff on this blog.

If you are meeting me for the first, I hope these five things give you a rough picture of who I am, and the types of posts to expect. I will go into detail about the work I did before moving to the US in a future post.

For those who have followed my work since 2008, I look forward to reconnecting, and walking together in this new phase of my life.

Until the next post,
 
Sending love and light, 
Sitawa

You Might Also Like

0 Comments