Never Enough: The Neuroscience and Experience of Addiction by Judith Grisel, PhD

October 01, 2024

Loving the add-ons on the Lancaster Public Library exterior...borrowed Judith Grisel's Never Enough: The Neuroscience and Experience of Addiction - May 2024
Happy New Month Beautiful People,

Loving that Fall is here with us (you all know it is my besttime of the year)…and loving the back to back mental health related events and activities - we just stepped out of National Recovery Month and World Suicide Prevention month aka September, and are currently in World Mental Health Month - whose theme is prioritizing workplace mental health. I have written on this a couple of times, with the most recent posts highlighting journalists and theirmental health, and Kenya’s female boxer.

Before we get deep into world mental health month related events and activities, I wanted to share something recovery related. 

Earlier in the Summer, when I was fresh off my semester of studying all things addiction and psychopathy, and doing an academic poster on US Laws and Pregnant women with substance use disorder, I got a book - Never Enough: The Neuroscience and Experience of Addiction by Judith Grisel, PhD - on addiction from the public library. I finished book, started drafting a blog post but never got round to finishing it because a girl decided to start building a business venture.
Long live public libraries - September 2024
I re-borrowed the book last week, got it on Monday and finally got round to finishing my blog post. The intro I did in May is in italics, followed by the summary I worked on this morning.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at the library for a Silent Book Club and was hoping to catch a screening that ended up being cancelled. After the book club, I decided to browse their psychology and neuroscience session and check the library's network catalogue for addiction related book. I saw Never Enough: The Neuroscience and Experience of Addiction by Judith Grisel, PhD on the list and placed a request for it.

Got notified two days later that it was ready for pick up. 

My plan was to read a chapter a day for the 14 days I had it and do a summary paragraph/reflection of sorts (clearly practicing for when I am a professor and asking my students to read, summarize and come to class ready to discuss their take-aways). On the real though, this was my way of making my reading and literature review on addiction and women more intentional, and I saw it as a way of narrowing down topics/focus areas for my Clinical Psychology program thesis.

(side note: not sure I want my research to be on this topic anymore…but it is too early to say).
Loved this drawing...took pic on my way from the library - September, 2024
my take-aways
The book is written by Judith Grisel, PhD who is a professor, behavioral neuroscientist and has lived experience with addiction (she had her first drink at 13). She uses her journey to not only explain how addiction works in a practical sense, but also backs it all with science. 

The title, Never Enough, summarizes her quest, and that of many others, to quench something in her, but the substances she used were NEVER ENOUGH, leading her to try a new substance, in different quantities, but it was NEVER ENOUGH!!! She talks about strained family relationships, the things she did and conditions she lived under just to maintain her lifestyle. The book is not all gloom as she also talks about her recovery journey which is still ongoing tens of years later, and the quest to find ‘a cure for addiction’ that led her back to school, all the way to a doctoral program, and her work as a behavioral scientist.


The first chapter is an introduction to her, and her work. The second chapter take a deep dive into how the brain works – punishment and reinforcement – and why that is important in understanding addiction. The next seven chapters are dedicated to the different classifications of substances – each classification has its own chapter.  She weaves social, historical, empirical and personal narratives in each chapter as well as how the various substances affect the brain/body. The second last chapter is dedicated to the author’s introspection. She highlights the things that made her vulnerable to addiction – biological disposition, exposure to substances, catalyzing environment and early start. Finally, the last chapter explores how society can/should deal with addiction. The author points out that the solution goes beyond just looking at the brain.
Definitely recommend this book - Lancaster Public Library 'hold section', September 2024
She mentions that it is the drive to ‘escape from reality’ not the drugs/substance that makes one an addict (p 217), and that as a society, ‘we are suffering from depth deprivation, which is found most naturally in honest connections’ (p 220) – and that the best way forward is to reach for others. Additionally, she highlights that recovery is a process of expansion, not restriction (p 210).

my recommendation
When I become a professor, this book will be among the ‘understanding addiction’ books that I will recommend. It is not only engaging, but it does a very good job at outlining and illustrating the various types of substances, the occasions they are commonly used and their impact to the brain/body, and their alternative advantages ( if used well and in controlled settings). Most of all it gives a simple and practical prevention strategy – compassion.

Until the next post, 

Sending love and light,
Sitawa

You Might Also Like

0 Comments