Events I Am Looking Forward To This Summer

April 18, 2024

Enjoyed Jupiter & Okwess' Concert at Long's Park Summer Series 2023...looking forward to the 2024 Series
Good morning beautiful people,

Long's Park just announced their line-up for this year's Summer Series. As I was listening to some of the music by the artists on the line-up, I ended up creating a list of the events that I am looking forward to this Summer. 

I am not sure I will attend all the events on my list, but I thought to share (just incase you are in Lancaster and its environs, and are looking for things to do). 

Please note that;
1. my list will be updated throughout the Summer - I am waiting for Big Boy Brass Band (that’s currently my FAV Lancaster band) to announce their Summer gigs
2. I will either create a separate blogpost with a list of gigs I end up attending, or will add notes/pix under the 2 cents part of this list.
big boy brass band outside Central Market, Lancaster (Summer 2021) - and yes, I was dancing and being the worst back-up singer...sorry Ginuwine for butchering your song
May
Every Tue - Sat until October 2nd
Learn the History of Lancaster, and discover interesting places in the city, by joining one of the Historical Lancaster Walking Tours. They start at the Lancaster Welcome Center, cost $10 (price is lower if you are a senior, youth or in a group) and last for 90 minutes. On market days (Tuesday, Friday and Saturday), there is a 10am and 1pm tour, and on Wednesdays and Thursdays, they have a 1pm one. No reservations needed, just go to the welcome center before the stated times, pay and wait for the guide.
Did the walking tour in April 2021, totally enjoyed it...will go again this Summer and maybe create a video or something
Sat 4th and Every First Saturday until October
Catch a train to the State's Capital, Harrisburg, for The HBG Flea - Harrisburg's monthly Summer outdoor flea market. The market is free to enter, runs from 9a-3pm at Midtown Cinema, and has options for vendors.
My 2 cents: This flea market, and Midtown Scholar Bookstore, have been on my Harrisburg bucket list forever. This Summer is when I cross them off my bucket list.

Fri 17th (5-8pm)
Enjoy Music Fridays every third Friday from May to September, across Lancaster. 
My 2 cents: Always a blast, waiting for this year's artists and venues to be updated on this page.

Sat 18th (11am - 7pm)
Experience Greek Food and Culture at Gyrofest Spring FestivalPre-order Gyro Platter + Greek Dessert here and pick your order on May 18th at Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church.
My 2 cents: If I go, this will be my first time...if you cannot make it, but want to a proper Greek food fix, check out Souvlaki Boys Grill (one of my best spots in Downtown Lancaster).

Tues 21st - Sun 25th
A week of African American Cultural Fair and Parade at Reservoir Park, Lancaster. 
My 2 cents: They always have a lovely artist line-up, waiting to see who will be gracing this year's event.

June
Sat 1st - Sun 2nd
Explore the Lancaster Vegan landscape at Lancaster VegFest, happening at Buchanan Park.
My 2 cents: This event usually happens when the Summer Sun is at its peak, so I have only attended when I felt the heat was bearable (in 2019 and 2023) + I think they took a break during COVID. I enjoyed it best the year I had company...the event always has interesting food vendors so if you have people to go with, each of you should buy from a different vendors (y’all know I am somewhat vegetarian)

Sun 2nd - Aug 18th (every Sunday):
Sing and Dance along to music at Long's Park Summer Series 
My 2 cents: Carry own lawn chair or blanket, snacks and drinks - there is a Wegman's across the road if you need to stock up...Event can be enjoyed alone or with friends.(Also read about my 2023 experience).

Mon 10 - Wed 12
69th Annual Book Sale to support Lancaster Public Library at F & M College Alumni Sports Fitness Center.
My 2 cents: Thrifting books and Supporting the local library is a love language…GO GO GO!!!

Fri 14th
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory opens at The Fulton Theatre.
My 2 cents: Y’all know my love for the theatre and specifically Fulton Theatre RUNS DEEP!!! Anything they put out is on my MUST SEE LIST.

Sun 16th, 5-8pm
Crispus Attucks is hosting its 3rd Annual Juneteenth Cultural Mixer  
My 2 cents: Crispus Attucks always comes through with their cultural and community impact gigs and initiatives. Haven't been to their Juneteenth events but judging from their other events, it will most likely ROCK!!!

August
Fri 16th 
Show your love for this beautiful city at Celebrate Lancaster. The venue is yet to be announced but they usually block off North Queen Street from Penn Square to Holiday Inn.
My 2 cents: This is where all things Lancaster, and lovers of Lancaster, converge.
Some belly-chains I made at BeadWorks, Lancaster
Wed 31st - Sat 3rd
Bead Festival + Maker Festivals Pennsylvania 
My 2 cents: TMI, I once had an African Jewelry line called O-collection after my BFF at the time (you know it is long ago when you hear BFF). I have always wanted to revisit that venture, and this bead event has always been on my list but I somehow never make it. I will try again this year...if cannot make it, but are looking for a place to get beads or try your hand at bead work, check out The BeadWorks in Downtown Lancaster.

Sat 17th:
Venture out of town by going for the Philadelphia Vegan Festival Vegandale 
My 2 cents: I went to the New York Vegandale gig when I lived there (ok I didn’t really live there, I more of stayed there for three months) and totally loved the festival - everything from the crowd, the energy, to the music was on point...been meaning to go back but their dates are usually the first weekend of Fall semester (when a sister has spent all here Summer earnings of books and other beginning of school fees). I intend to go for this Philly Summer edition.

Fri 30th - Sept 1st: 
Get your artsy and crafty jig on at Long's Park Art Festival, cop tickets for $15 (one day) or $25 (whole weekend).
My 2 cents: I have never been to this event (which is a sister event to Long's Park Summer Series). Like the New York Vegandale, it always happens just when school has opened...will try to see if I can make it this year. 

I also have aspirations of going to Jersey city or a beach near Lancaster…all these is me saying that a girl is looking forward to an EVENTFUL & ARTSY Summer.

PS: I am laughing at the fact that I have already mapped out my Summer but I am yet to finish my end of semester research papers/exams…guess I am visualizing the reinforcements that will help me get to the finish line.

PSS: Check out the posts under Out & About to get a feel of Lancaster events, and if you are looking for more than these one time hits, check out this post for recurring gigs that happen in this Historic Church in Downtown Lancaster.

Sending love and light,
Sitawa

You Might Also Like

0 Comments