‘Beginning of Senior Year’ Stories

September 08, 2023

...and to mark the beginning of the semester, we sign the board at the Hub
Good afternoon beautiful people,

The Fall Semester is here and I'd like to share all the things I am excited about/looking forward to this Academic Year. Before we dive into that, I want to give a shout out to TK for holding space for me this Summer...I am grateful for you.

Onto the things I am excited about:

My return to Higher Education has been a bumpy one and to know that I have finally made it to the last lap of the first chapter is amazing. I am grateful for every sunset because it reminds me that I am a day closer to graduation - which according to my countdown calendar is in 7 months, 24 days.

I am looking forward to the next chapter of my academic journey. 
From the local newspaper …I dare add, if you have classes in buildings where the HVAC works
I have been working on PhD applications' 'game plan' which I  think we should get independent study type credits for because this process is a course on its own. 

I currently have a list of 6 schools and their application requirements. The thing that I am stuck on is getting a faculty member I'd like to work with.

I also have a second list with a timeline to help guide me on when I need to have certain application requirements ready. All the schools I am looking at have the same requirements - transcript, letters of recommendation, statement of purpose, writing sample and filling in the application form - so it makes things easy for me (none is looking at GRE scores). Though they have  different application deadlines, I think I will use the earliest deadline as my cut off for having all my applications done.

I already reached out to two professors from my Junior Year, and they have agreed to write letters of recommendation. If I am going to use this 'game plan', my next step will be to firm up my statement and my advocacy heavy CV...then start applying.
Update: ended up sending an application to only one school on Nov 15th
Loving these African names on my screen....And Yes, I woke up at 7am to catch Arsenal's first game - We are taking Season 23/24. 
2. It is Premier League Season

I have already synced to my calendar with the Season's calendar from the Premier League App (get the calendar here) so that I know when Arsenal is playing...GO GUNNERS!!! 

We are currently No.5 on the League and as an armchair coach, I blame the time we had to play with 10 men because someone went and got themselves a red card at a time when Nketiah was trying to figure out who to gel with on the field...plus that draw with Fulham (where they scored in the first minute...I am still dumbfounded).

We have to get ourselves together and increase the goal differences to not only get to where we were last year but to seriously give Man City a run for their money.

Besides football, I also have a couple of TV shows I intend to follow this Fall, which coupled by these weekend games will keep me going through the semester (will blog about interesting ones).
Cheers to an amazing Fall Semester - You know you have early morning classes when there are no vehicles on the road when you leave + the Sun is still stretching
Until the next post,

I pray for everyone who is thinking about beginning, or has just begun, this process. 
I pray that you get all the support and resources you need. 
I pray that you match with the right advisors and most importantly that you are accepted by the program that is most aligned with where you are meant to go after this.
Early mornings by the school pond...waiting for my first class to start (Sept 2023)
...here's to a Senior Year that is full of adventure, exciting ‘drama’ and saying I do to academic partnerships.

Sending love and light,
Sitawa

You Might Also Like

0 Comments