My Life & Work Before U.S Move

May 13, 2023

Sitawa Wafula, a blogger living with epilepsy and bipolar, pursuing academic dreams abroad, and embracing the abundant life
Reflecting on how far I have come (in my apartment, Lancaster PA -June 2023)
Hey beautiful souls,

Today I will be sharing the amazing work I did for more than ten years in my home country of Kenya, and across Africa, before moving to the U.S for school.

If you are new to the blog, I would like to ask you to read the previous post (A Few Things About Me) to learn a little bit about me and my blogging style.
Throwback to 2009 when I started curating and hosting my own poetry night - Shout out to Discovery Coffee shop for providing the space(shameless plug spot my name and poetry at discovery under Kenya
My journey begins with writing and doing spoken word poetry. 

cannot remember when I started piling up notebooks but I know that by my teens, journaling and poetry were the key ways I expressed myself. So when I got a dual diagnosis of epilepsy and bipolar, writing was what kept me going. 
Sitawa Wafula is a blogger living with epilepsy and bipolar, pursuing academic dreams abroad, and embracing the abundant life
3 years later, was still going strong...had moved locations from CBD to Ngong Rd, and had a lot of partners
I started performing my pieces in what was the only regular open mic gig in Nairobi before setting up and hosting my own monthly gigs in Nairobi and later in Nakuru - I wanted to create an intimate artist centered space away from the 'sometimes rowdy bar scene'.
Sitawa Wafula is a blogger living with epilepsy and bipolar, pursuing academic dreams abroad, and embracing the abundant life
On stage at Alliance Francaise, Nairobi - Throwback to my Spoken Word days
My open mic nights became a staple for both local and international poets - and nurtured a couple of poets who became 'hot shots' in the Kenyan spoken word scene.
Sitawa Wafula is a blogger living with epilepsy and bipolar, pursuing academic dreams abroad, and embracing the abundant life
When my writing and advocacy merged (August 2010)
In addition to the open mic nights, I shared my work on a now archived blog. That blog and the gigs set the foundation for my work as a global mental health advocate. 

Advocacy took over my life and I consolidated my blog into a mental health social enterprise that provided mental health information and support to people in Africa. My spoken word morphed from poetry nights to speaking engagements and I travelled the world to chime into global mental health conversations. 
Sitawa Wafula is a blogger living with epilepsy and bipolar, pursuing academic dreams abroad, and embracing the abundant life
After working from my living room for sometime, I repurposed a hair salon into our first office space (circa early 2014, Ngong, Kenya)
Memorable advocacy moments over the decade: 
- thank you notes from everyone whose lives improved thanks to the services my blog and social enterprise provided…and, of course, all the local, continental and international awards and recognitions,
- doing a TED talk, telling a MOTH Story, and speaking at the UN General Assembly in New York, and Aspen Ideas Festival in Aspen, Colorado,
- sitting on the National Committee that developed the Kenya Mental Health Policy (2015-2030)contributing to the Kenya National Human Rights Commission's audit of the mental health system in Kenya (read report), and serving as an assistant secretary at the National Epilepsy Coordination Committee - Kenya, 
being part of Beijing+20 at the African Union in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, doing logistics for #JusticeforLiz  March (you can hear me doing 'crowd control' in the background and spot me chewing gum like there is no tomorrow).

At BET Awards Red Carpet  -  Los Angeles, June 2022
In case you are curious about the advocacy and social innovation work I did - I spent my days running a mental health social enterprise, managing an amazing team of staff and volunteers, and creating some pretty cool projects. 
Sitawa Wafula is a blogger living with epilepsy and bipolar, pursuing academic dreams abroad, and embracing the abundant life
Marking Purple Day 2014 and doing a team appreciation lunch…Forever grateful to this crew for believing in my dreams and helping execute my wild plans (Karen, Kenya)
My top three over the decade:
setting up my country’s first mental health support line which supported over 11,000 people in its first year, 
- doing a mental health storytelling tour dubbed Akili ni Mali (Swahili for Mind is Wealth) that visited 6 counties in Kenya and 6 states in Nigeria, 
- prototyping Mental Health Academy that ended up working with 30 mental health champions from 8 African countries (read prototype highlights). 
Sitawa Wafula is a blogger living with epilepsy and bipolar, pursuing academic dreams abroad, and embracing the abundant life
Excuse this 'Dug from the Archives' blurry pic: Was at a local Health Centre with Nairobi's first Women Representative, Hon. Rachel Shebesh, during an awareness drive for my support line
After a little over a decade of awareness creation, social innovation, lobbying, constantly traveling for global mental health engagements and working with (the next generation of) mental health champions, I felt the need to slow down...so I took a Sabbatical that led to me going back to school.

I dropped out of Actuarial School in 2005 due to ill health, and getting back after 15 years was an answered prayer. In hindsight, I am grateful that the initial ‘derailment’ in my academic journey, led to unimaginable and impactful adventures that touched thousands of people living with mental health conditions, and their families. I am also grateful that my prayers were answered and I get another chance to try this school thing again. I look forward to blogging about the adventures (and potential derailments) God has in store for me.

Until the next post,
 
Sending love and light, 
Sitawa

You Might Also Like

0 Comments